Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Progress on Carbs today!




Well, both carbs appear to be seized up. I unhooked the twist throttle from the cables to see if one of them was the culprit of why the throttle would not turn and no dice. So I filled each cable with carb cleaner and then moved toward the engine!

I took off both breathers and sprayed a huge amount of carb cleaner over the air inlet and the bleeder valve*(yay stinky finger club time!). Both bleeder valves were even seized up so I started with a rubber handled rachet and a dead blow hammer to nudge them downward. Both popped right down but only one popped up... ugg

I kept spraying and pulling, pulling and spraying. Felt like I was making progress but nothing changed. I pulled both plugs and put about 1/5 of a quart of motor oil in the cylinders so I could roll it over and check for compression... RAWR... thats what the meat and potatoes of the 60's felt like when it blew that huge gust of air out!! Compression is very very strong. Will look thru the toolboxes this weekend to get an actual reading.

Ok, back to the carbs. More spray... more pulling of the cables. Neither cable ever moved however the other bleeder valve did pop back up!!! WOOHOO! That is progress for the day. Time to play with Blaine and then get some rest for tomorrows 30min to 1 hour of work on the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment