Wednesday, November 18, 2009

LH Carb is almost done






After all the cleaning on the LH carb I was inserting the slide into the body of the carb and I noticed it sticks at the top of the movement. Almost like something was gummed up in there (which we know it isn't due to I just cleaned it). So I go on the internet today and read all about Amal carbs and how if some blunder-head tightens it too much then it will warp the carb body and the slide will stick... ugg... So I look into how to fix it. After quite a few searches I find a company that wants to bore out the body, insert a sleeve over the slide and that should fix it.. So I keep reading.. it is 79.99 per carb and 12.00 shipping... Ok... WTF! A new carb isi about 150.00 and then it will have new ticklers and all... So here was what I did, I got some 400 grit sandpaper from the garage and about a dab of WD-40. I wrapped the paper around my index and middle finger and proceeded to removing the area of the housing and the slide that have visible wear marks. ~~ Very slowly ~~ and checking every 2 or so strokes. After about 20 minutes the slide is still tough to move but not as tough as the spring is strong that controls its movement. It appears that I have averted the 92.00 for a used carb sleeve. But time will tell as we get her started. I should get LH carb assembled tonight (providing Lowe's has a bolt to fit the choke hole I am trying to plug!). Felt like a great day on the LH Carb. RH carb is still taking its bath in mineral spirits. Here are your images to show how it came out!

No comments:

Post a Comment