Thursday, November 19, 2009

RH Carb first manual cleaning and JB Weld installed

Well, tonight I started on the RH carb... It was not nearly as dirty as the LH carb however the air mixture hole was totally clogged and took about 30 minutes to get it unclogged. I tried everything from tiny wire to toothpicks and compressed air. It was being a total bitch. After over an hour of cleaning it was ready to leave for the night and resume work tomorrow. During dis assembly I noticed the plug that was in the choke hole was moving a bit. So I put some pressure on it with a small allen wrench and it came OUT!! It was CORK... you have to be kidding... who would put cork in the top of a carburetor that is a vacuum source with constant pull. Eventually that thing was going to come loose and go inside the engine or who knows what... So I kept cleaning. I reached the bottom of the carb and removed the fuel inlet adapter that connects to the bottom of the bowl. After a thorough cleaning I noticed an odd indention in the side. It seems like there was something jammed in the side. Another freaking piece of cork.. Yeah.. cork to hold in the fuel. The fuel pressure was always pusing this thing outward. No wonder the carb leaked like a sprinkler. There is a hole just a tad smaller than a pencil eraser in the fuel inlet. So I sanded it down very very well and cleaned the surfaces. JB Weld to the rescue!! Time for some rest... 2 suprises is enough... More updates tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment